It’s easy to get nervous about a job interview, even if you know you’re qualified for the job.
What will they ask you? Will you have the right answers?
Will you wear the right clothes? Will they like you?
The best way to boost your confidence is to be prepared.
Here’s a look at some tips for the big day — including a list of some of the landscape interview questions you’ll likely be asked.
Don’t forget to iron your shirt.
First, It’s A Two-Way Street
Look at a job interview as a chance to sell yourself as the best candidate for the job. Your task is to point out your strengths, skills and qualifications.
Remember, it’s a two-way street. While your potential employer is sizing you up as a possible hire, you’re also deciding if the job, and the landscaping company, is the right fit for you.
In addition to offering up your skills and qualifications, the interview is your chance to showcase your personality, and show how you’ll interact with your potential new colleagues.
Do a practice interview — of yourself.
What will convince this employer that you’re the right person for the position?
What are the strengths, achievements and skills that make you the most qualified?
What about you likely stands out from the other job candidates?
If they ask about weaknesses, what will you say? And how will you describe how you’re working on improving them?
When they ask you to tell them about yourself, have a good answer ready. Practice it.
Research The Company
You should know as much as you can about the landscaping company you hope will hire you. This means some homework before your interview.
- Visit the company website and check out the “about us” and “careers” sections.
- Visit the company’s LinkedIn page.
- Google a keyword search phrase like “press releases” followed by the company name to find the most recent news stories shared by the company.
On The Big Day
- Arrive a few minutes before your interview.
- Be friendly with the receptionist and other office staff — their impression of you matters, too.
- Take the time to compose yourself and check your appearance in a nearby restroom.
- If the interviewer asks if you have any questions, be sure to ask some. It shows your interest in the job and the company. Be specific with your questions. Ask about the company and the industry.
Common Landscape Interview Questions
Here’s a look at 5 landscape interview questions you might be asked when interviewing for each of four different positions: crew, crew leader, branch manager and account manager.
Keep in mind several of these questions are interchangeable, and might be asked during just about any job interview. Some are more specific to this industry.
Think about how you’d answer each one.
Interview Questions For Crew Members
- What type of equipment have you used?
- Do you have your own transportation?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a supervisor? How was it resolved?
- Are you willing and able to work in all weather conditions?
- If I ask you to do a job in a way you're not used to, how would you handle that?
Interview Questions For Crew Leaders
- Tell me about your leadership style. What makes you good at directing others?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- Tell me about a conflict you were involved in at a previous job and how you handled it.
- What is your greatest weakness?
- When you make a mistake, how do you go about fixing it?
Interview Questions For Branch Managers
- Imagine a conflict between two people working for you. How would you approach them and how would you resolve the situation?
- What would you do with an employee who is underperforming?
- Tell me about a suggestion you’ve made that was implemented in a previous landscaping industry job?
- What challenges are you looking for in this position?
- Why should we hire you?
Interview Questions For Account Managers
- What qualities and skills make an account manager successful?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle it?
- What do you know about us?
- What steps would you take to increase revenue for this company?
- Do you have any questions to ask us?
Come Talk To Us At Level Green Landscaping
We’re a growing company looking for driven people who value quality work and client relationships as much as we do.
We’d love to hear about you and why you’d be a good fit here.
Our team members receive competitive pay and benefits, and they have the opportunity to move up within the company. We love what we do, and we’re always looking for others who feel the same way.
Apply below for one of our open positions, and we’ll be in touch with you soon.